We all know that Beef is a vital source of protein. We hope that our hearty beef stew recipes will surely add more flavor to your daily cuisine and definitely some meat to your bones. Below we have described a simple starter recipe for hearty beef stew.
Home-Made Hearty Beef Stew Recipe:
Total time: 6 h 20 min
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 6 h
Makes for four persons
- 1 pound cube of stew meat beef
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 ½ tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 sliced celery stalk
- 2 potatoes cut into cubes
- ½ pound mushrooms sliced in quartered
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
Preparatory Method for Hearty Beef Stew:
Image Source: Flickr
- In a small bowl mix the flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Sprinkle this mixture on the beef stew meat in the form of a thin coat.
- Place the beef stew meat into a slow cooker on medium heat.
- Stir teriyaki sauce and the vegetables; onions, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, garlic and bay leaves in the beef broth and add them to the cooker.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 6 hours or till beef is tender with occasional stirring.
- Serve hot with bread or dinner rolls as you like it.
Home-Made Hearty Beef Stew With Dumplings:
Total time: 3h 40 min
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 3 h 40 min
Serves: 8 persons
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped coarsely
- 2 pounds of beef stew meat cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons of steak seasonings
- 2 celery stalks cut sliced into 4 pieces
- 2 cups water or beef broth (for a stronger flavor)
- 4 packets of dry brown gravy mix
- 4 cups water or beef broth (for a stronger flavor)
- 1 small turnip peeled and sliced into quarters
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced into quarters
- 7 potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon shortening
- ¾ cup milk
Image Source: Flickr
Preparation Method of Hearty Beef Stew With Dumplings:
Hearty beef stew recipe:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until the oil is sparkling hot now add the chopped onion and beef cubes to the hot oil and add 1 teaspoon of steak seasoning sprinkling over them and stir them well, now 1 more teaspoon of steak seasoning and stir again. Add the celery and cook for 10 minutes with occasional stirring until the meat is browned.
- Now pour 2 cups of water/broth to cover the meat, onion and celery and bring it to a boil, stirring and scraping the brown bits of seasoning from the bottom of the pot occasionally. Cover and on reduced heat cook for about 2 hours until the meat is tender. After this remove the meat and celery from the pan and set them aside.
- Now in a bowl whip the gravy mix with 4 cups of water/broth and add in the pot and bring it to a boil. Now add the meat back in the pot and add turnips and carrots too. Cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes. Now add potatoes and cook for 20 minutes more.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add the shortenings into the mixture with pastry cutters and knives and mix until the mixture looks crumbly.
- Now add milk and knead the mixture to form a dough.
- Now remove approximately 2-3 cups of gravy from the pot and set aside.
- Drop the dumplings into the pot of gravy by heaping tablespoons full of dough onto to the gravy pot.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes more and don’t open it for 20 minutes.
- Now add the gravy you took earlier back into the pot. Stir the gravy lightly and serve hot.