If you’re wondering how to make chipotle rice and add some bold flavours to your meals, then you’re in for a treat! This delicious side dish is a fantastic way to spice up your dinner routine and impress your guests with its smoky, savoury taste. With just a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, making this rice recipe at home has never been easier. So, put on your apron and grab your rice pot because we’re about to embark on a culinary adventure that’ll leave you craving for more!
How To Make Chipotle Rice?
If you’re a fan of chipotle peppers’ smoky and spicy flavours, you’ll love chipotle rice. This flavorful side dish is perfect for serving alongside your favourite Mexican-inspired meals or as a base for a hearty burrito bowl. Here’s how to make chipotle rice at home.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from the can of chipotle peppers)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Ready To Prepare?
- Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer until the water runs clear. This removes excess starch and helps the rice cook evenly.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and rice, and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the minced chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, cumin, smoked paprika, and oregano to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes until the spices are fragrant and the chipotle pepper is softened.
- When the rice is finished cooking, fluff it with a fork and transfer it to a large bowl. Add the onion and chipotle mixture to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Taste the rice and adjust the seasoning as needed with additional salt or adobo sauce.
- Serve the rice hot, garnished with chopped fresh cilantro or green onions if desired.
4 Methods: How To Make Chipotle Rice?
1. Instant Pot
To make chipotle rice in an Instant Pot, add your rinsed rice, water, and seasonings to the pot and stir to combine. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, then allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before manually releasing any remaining pressure. Stir in the sautéed onion and chipotle mixture, fluff the rice with a fork, and serve.
To make chipotle rice in the oven, preheat your oven to 375°F. In an oven-safe dish, combine your rinsed rice, water, and seasonings. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed. Stir in the sautéed onion and chipotle mixture, fluff the rice with a fork, and serve.
To make chipotle rice in the microwave, combine your rinsed rice, water, and seasonings in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl with microwave-safe plastic wrap or a lid, leaving a small vent for steam to escape. Microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed. Stir in the sautéed onion and chipotle mixture, fluff the rice with a fork, and serve.
4. Rice Cooker
Making chipotle rice in a rice cooker is as easy as making it on the stove! Simply add your rinsed rice, water, and seasonings to the rice cooker and stir to combine. Cook the rice according to the manufacturer’s instructions, then stir in the sautéed onion and chipotle mixture. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve. This hands-off method is perfect for busy weeknights or when you need to free up stove space for other dishes.
How To Modify This Recipe?
- A vegetarian or vegan version of chipotle rice, use vegetable broth instead of water and omit the adobo sauce (which contains a small amount of meat).
- Creamier chipotle rice, stir in a tablespoon of butter or cream cheese after the rice is cooked.
- Spicier chipotle rice, add additional minced chipotle peppers or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the onion and chipotle mixture.
- Heartier chipotle rice, stir in cooked black beans, corn, or diced tomatoes after the rice is cooked.
Chipotle rice is a delicious and versatile side dish that can be made using a variety of cooking methods. Whether you prefer to make it on the stove, in a rice cooker, Instant Pot, oven, or microwave, the process is simple and yields a flavorful result. With its smoky, spicy taste and fluffy texture, rice pairs perfectly with a range of Mexican-inspired dishes or can be enjoyed on its own as a tasty and filling meal. So why not try making this rice recipe using your favourite method today, and add some excitement to your dinner routine?
Feature Image: Pixabay