Every dining table is empty without side dishes. Side dishes play a very important role in enhancing the flavours of meals. Whether you add them to your dishes or have them at the side, they can make your food extra ambrosial. One of the main side dishes includes pickled onions. Pickled onions are the perfect side dish to enhance the flavour of your food. If you are a pickled onion lover and want to know more about them, then keep on reading because we’ll be mentioning all that you need to know, from the recipe to how long pickled onions last. So without further waiting, let’s move on and find out how to make the recipe.
How To Make Pickled Onions?
The recipe for pickled onions is quite simple; you can easily make them at home without effort.
- 1 medium red onion
- ½ cup of water
- ⅓ cup distilled white vinegar
- ⅓ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Half a red onion and slice it into very thin pieces. Transfer these Slices to a 1 ½ pint jar.
- In a saucepan, add the water, white vinegar, honey, kosher salt, and other spices. Let this sit on medium heat, and as soon as it starts to simmer, whisk it till the honey dissolves.
- Now pour this hot liquid into the jar, and with the help of a spoon or a flat knife, press down the onions until they submerge.
- Let the jar cool down for 30 minutes before refrigerating.
These pickled onions cannot be canned, so don’t use the canning process. If you want to use the canning method, you should use a different recipe.
How Long Do Pickled Onions Last?
Pickled onions can last for a very long time due to the vinegar that is added to them. If kept in the refrigerator, can last for up to three weeks if stored at room temperature; then, it is best to eat them in the span of 3 times. It is said that even if you refrigerate the onions eat them within one week because that is when they are the best.
Feature Image: Pixabay