Chilli cheese fries are a quintessential American dish that has become increasingly popular in recent years. This savoury, indulgent treat perfectly blends crispy fries, spicy chilli, and gooey melted cheese. Whether you eat them as a snack or a meal, these fries will satisfy your craving for something comforting and tasty. Find out more in this article.
History Of Chilli Cheese Fries
The origins of cheese fries are not well-documented, but it is widely believed that the dish originated in the United States. Some sources suggest that the dish may have been first served at a drive-in restaurant in the 1950s. Over the years, chilli fries have become a staple at diners, fast food restaurants, and sports bars across the country.
Let’s try the chili cheese fries recipe
Chilli Cheese Fries Recipe
To make chilli cheese fries, you will need the following ingredients:
- Frozen French fries
- Chilli con carne
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream (optional)
- Green onions, chopped (optional)
How To Make Chilli Cheese Fries?
- Preheat your oven to the temperature recommended on the package of frozen fries.
- Cook the frozen fries according to the instructions on the package until they are crispy and golden brown.
- While the fries are cooking, heat the chilli con carne in a saucepan on medium heat.
- Once the fries are done, remove them from the oven and transfer them to a large platter or individual serving dishes.
- Pour the hot chilli over the fries, making sure to cover them evenly.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the chilli.
- Return the platter or dishes to the oven and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Optional: top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions.
You can find the exact recipe for chilli cheese fries in this video:
Next in line is the sauce and topping of chilli cheese fries.
6 Chili Cheese Fries Sauces
The sauce used for cheese fries can vary depending on personal preference and the recipe being used. Here are a few common sauces that are used for chilli fries:
1. Ranch Dressing
Many people dip their chilli cheese fries in ranch dressing for a cool and creamy contrast to the spicy chilli.
2. Sour Cream
Like ranch dressing, sour cream can provide a creamy contrast to the spicy flavours of the chilli and cheese.
3. Hot Sauce
For those who prefer an extra kick of heat, hot sauce can be drizzled on top of the chilli fries or used as a dipping sauce.
Some people enjoy the combination of guacamole and cheese fries, as the creamy avocado adds a refreshing flavour and texture to the dish.
Ketchup is a classic condiment that can be used to add a sweet and tangy flavour to cheese fries.
6. BBQ Sauce
BBQ sauce can be used as a topping or dipping sauce for chilli cheese fries for a smoky and sweet flavour. Ultimately, the choice of sauce for fries is a matter of personal preference. Experiment with different sauces to find the best combination that suits your taste buds.
9 Chilli Cheese Fries Toppings
The cheese fries are a classic American dish that features crispy French fries topped with chilli and melted cheese. Here are some popular toppings to add to your chilli fries:
- Chopped onions: Add texture and flavour to your fries with a handful of finely chopped onions.
- Sour cream: A dollop of sour cream will cool down the heat from the chilli and add a creamy texture to the dish.
- Jalapeños: For those who like spicy, adding sliced jalapeños on top adds heat and flavour to your cheese fries.
- Bacon bits: For an extra savoury touch, sprinkle some crispy bacon bits over the top of your fries.
- Guacamole: A scoop of fresh guacamole on top of your chilli fries adds a fresh, tangy flavour to the dish.
- Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes will add a pop of colour and some fresh flavour to your fries.
- Green onions: Finely sliced green onions will add a mild onion flavour and some colour to your dish.
- Salsa: A spoonful of salsa on top of your chilli cheese fries will add some acidity and freshness to the dish.
- Cilantro: Finely chopped cilantro will add some brightness and freshness to your chilli cheese fries.
How Can Chilli Cheese Fries Be Made More Creatively?
While the classic version of fries is undoubtedly delicious, there are many ways to put your own spin on the dish. For a vegetarian version, you can substitute the ground beef with a plant-based meat substitute or omit it altogether and make a bean chilli. Add some diced jalapeños or crushed red pepper flakes to the chilli if you prefer spicier food. You can also experiment with different types of cheese, such as pepper jack or mozzarella. Here are a few examples:
- Loaded: Add additional toppings to your chilli cheese fries, such as crispy bacon, diced onions, sliced jalapeños, or sliced avocado.
- Vegan: Substitute the chilli con carne with a vegan chilli made with beans, lentils, or tofu. Use vegan cheese or nutritional yeast instead of dairy cheese.
- Buffalo chicken: Top your fries with spicy buffalo chicken, blue cheese dressing, and diced celery.
- BBQ pulled pork: Add BBQ pulled pork to your chilli cheese fries for a smoky, savoury flavour.
- Sweet potato: Use sweet potato fries instead of regular fries and top with vegetarian chilli and cheddar cheese.
- Breakfast: Top your fries with scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage gravy for a delicious breakfast twist on the classic dish.
- Greek-style: Use feta cheese and top with gyro meat, tzatziki sauce, and diced tomatoes and onions for a Mediterranean-inspired twist.
Chilli Cheese Fries Mcdonalds
They have been a popular menu item at McDonald’s in various countries around the world. However, it’s important to note that McDonald’s often introduces regional or limited-time items that may not be available in all locations.
In the United States, McDonald’s has offered chilli cheese fries as a limited-time item in the past, typically during the winter months. The dish featured crispy French fries topped with spicy beef chilli and shredded cheddar cheese.
In other countries, such as Australia and Hong Kong, McDonald’s has offered a variation of fries that includes a side of nacho cheese sauce instead of shredded cheese. It’s always best to check with your local McDonald’s to see if they currently offer fries or any other variations of the popular dish.
In a Nutshell
Chilli cheese fries are a comfort food classic perfect for indulging in every once in a while. While they may not be the healthiest option, they are undeniably satisfying and delicious. Whether enjoyed as a snack or a meal, fries will surely leave you warm and satisfied.
Feature Image: Pixabay
Read More Articles: