A combination of Italian and American cuisine, chicken marsala is a great meal option for lunch or dinner. This dish is a perfectly balanced combination of sweet and savory. Accompanied by a thick and creamy Marsala sauce, chicken marsala can be easily served with pasta or rice. Keeping in mind how many calories are in chicken marsala, the side dishes can be altered to adjust the number of calories in the whole meal. However, chicken marsala is still a flavorsome dish that is bound to make your dinner special.
How Many Calories Are In Chicken Marsala
Chicken marsala is a versatile meal, and the number of calories in the meal depends on the combination of ingredients used for the gravy. One average-sized serving of chicken marsala, which includes a piece of chicken breast, and half a cup of creamy gravy with mushrooms, averages around 325 calories. If you are wondering how many calories are in chicken marsala paired with rice, they amount to 532 calories. The amount of calories can vary depending on the side of choice.
Homemade Chicken Marsala Calories
If you are cooking at home, it is easy to control how many calories are in chicken marsala by adjusting the quantities of the ingredients. By doing so, the calories per serving can be as low as 211.
An average serving of chicken marsala contains 36 grams of fat, 32 grams of protein, and 18 grams of carbohydrates.
Is Chicken Marsala Healthy?
Yes! Chicken Marsala is a great option for a healthy meal. It is a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals, as it contains chicken meat that is low in saturated fats. In addition to the chicken, the mushrooms added to the sauce are low in calories but are a good source of fiber and protein.
If you are on a diet, you can easily substitute the heavy cream in the recipe with skim milk, which ultimately makes the dish healthier. You can skip out the dairy entirely and make the sauce with the Marsala wine and chicken stock.
Chicken Marsala Recipe
Chicken marsala is popular in many restaurants alongside chicken lasagne and chicken parm. However, it is rather convenient to make at home as well. The dish takes around 40 to 45 minutes to put together.
What Is Chicken Marsala Sauce Made Of?
The sauce in chicken marsala is made of marsala wine, which is a dry wine from Italy.
- Local to sicily, this wine is commonly used in baking and cooking and is made with the process of fortification, which gives the wine its deep, nutty, and sweet flavor – a perfect complement to the savory elements of this dish.
- Marsala wine also has different types based on the saturation of sugar in the wine. It ranges from secco, the dry variant of marsala wine with the least amount of sugar, to dolce, the marsala wine that has the most amount of sugar.
- Due to the sugar content, marsala wine is popularly used for creating sauces, leaving a rich, caramelized color and flavor. It is used for similar purposes in baking.
Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe
It is very easy to make chicken marsala from scratch. Also, how many calories in chicken marsala can be adjusted by skipping the heavy cream in the gravy for skimmed milk? The following recipe can serve two people and can be increased to serve more.
- Chicken breasts, butterflied 2-3
- Mushrooms, sliced 1 cup
- Butter 30g
- Olive oil 2-3 tbsp
- Marsala Wine 1/2 cup
- Chicken Stock 1/2 cup
- Garlic, chopped finely 2-3 cloves
- Heavy Cream/ Skimmed Milk 1/2 cup
- Thyme 1 tsp
- Parsley 2-3 tsp
- Black pepper 3/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Use a mallet to pound the chicken breasts till they are about an inch thick.
- Mix a mixture of flour, salt, to taste, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, making sure the chicken is coated all over.
- In a skillet, add the butter. Once it has melted, pan-fry the chicken over medium heat.
- If the amount of butter seems less, you can add some olive oil to help the chicken not to stick to the pan. Fry the chicken on both sides till it is golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add more oil or butter in the same pan and pan-fry the mushrooms until they show color. Then add the garlic and fry till the garlic is fragrant.
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add the broth, Marsala wine, and heavy cream and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the thyme, salt, and black pepper to taste.
- Lastly, add the chicken pieces back into the gravy and let them simmer for 10 to 15 minutes with the lid on. You can add the parsley before putting the lid on.
- Serve the prepared chicken Marsala with a side of pasta, rice, polenta, or potatoes.
Substitutes For Dry Marsala Wine
It is preferable to use dry Marsala wine for this recipe, as it is the most suitable addition to the recipe. However, in the case that dry marsala wine is not readily available, dry white wine can be used with a splash of brandy or cognac for a similar flavor.
Olive Garden Chicken Marsala
Olive Garden is famous for its Italian cuisine, including its chicken marsala. It is easy to recreate Olive Garden’s chicken marsala at home by following the instructions given above. However, some ingredients can be modified, such as switching the regular mushrooms with porcini mushrooms. Also, add Worcestershire sauce and mustard to the gravy for a robust flavor.
For extra caramelization, add brown sugar at the stage when the mushrooms are fried. Also, the dish can be served with a garnish of parmesan cheese to replicate the flavors of Olive Garden. All of the additional ingredients will increase how many calories in chicken marsala.
How Many Calories In Chicken Piccata
Chicken Piccata is another delicious meal that is slightly varied from a chicken marsala. It consists of dredged chicken breasts fried in butter and served with a lemon-butter sauce, topped with sour and tangy capers. A serving of chicken piccata contains around 390 calories.
How Many Calories In Veal Marsala
Veal is a leaner meat option compared to chicken. It is high in iron and protein. An average serving of veal marsala, with one slice of meat with sauce, contains approximately 270 calories. Chicken marsala will have fewer calories than veal marsala. However, veal marsala is more nutritious.
In a Nutshell
Either for dinner at home or for a meal cooked for friends and family, chicken marsala is a sophisticated choice to bring the flavors of Italy to your dinner table. With the variations of the combination of ingredients and the choice of protein for the dish, it is easy to adjust how many calories are in chicken marsala. It is quick to put together and packs a punch of flavor.
Feature Image: Pixabay
Looking for more related articles?