Tender and crunchy, chicken fingers are the ultimate snack option for a quick bite. However, you might wonder how many carbs are in chicken fingers. A regular serving of chicken fingers, served with a dip of your choice, is an ideal meal as it is high in protein and comparatively lower in carbs.
What Are Chicken Fingers?
So what are chicken fingers?
These juicy strips of chicken are usually taken from either side of the breast meat of the chicken, resulting in thin strips that are marinated and breaded in eggs and breadcrumbs for a crispy exterior.
It may be surprising to know how many carbs are in chicken fingers. An average serving of chicken fingers, amounting to 100g, contains sufficient amounts of iron, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin E. Chicken fingers are also rich in selenium, niacin, and phosphorous. They are a rich source of protein and fat, numbering 18g each, and are comparatively low in carbs, amounting to 14g per serving.
A 100g serving of chicken fingers contains approximately a total of 300 calories.
How To Cook Chicken Fingers?
Chicken fingers are a quick and easy snack to make from scratch. The recipe can also be adjusted to control how many carbs are in chicken fingers when they are cooked by opting for chicken fingers without breading. To make one serving of chicken fingers for two people, you will need;
- Chicken fingers 400g
- Vinegar 2 tbsp
- Breadcrumbs/Panko crumbs 1 cup
- Freshly chopped Garlic 1-2 tsp
- Parsley 1-2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper 1 tsp
- Egg 1
- Paprika 1/2 tsp
- Onion Powder 1 tsp
- Garlic Powder 1 tsp
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Let the chicken fingers sit in the vinegar for an hour before adding them to the marinade. This will allow the chicken fingers to be more juicy and moist even after cooking.
- Mix the egg, fresh garlic, parsley, salt, black pepper, paprika, and olive oil in a bowl.
- Wash the vinegar from the chicken before adding the chicken to the egg wash.
- Then, allow the chicken to marinate in the egg wash for at least an hour. It is ideal to leave the chicken marinating in the fridge overnight.
- Mix the breadcrumbs/panko crumbs on a flat plate with the onion and garlic powder.
- This is the crumb coat for the fingers. You can also add salt and pepper to taste at this stage.
- Once the chicken has marinated, coat the tender pieces with crumbs, ensuring that all sides have been properly breaded.
- Cook the fingers with the method of your choice for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or till the exterior turns into a rich, golden brown.
- Serve the delicious chicken fingers with a dip of your choice and a lemon wedge for an extra touch of sourness.
There are many methods to cook chicken fingers. If the fingers have not been breaded to reduce how many carbs are in chicken fingers, it will also reduce the cooking time.
Set the air-fryer at 400 F and cook the chicken fingers for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping their side at 7 minutes. You can brush the fingers with some oil to help them crisp up.
Baking in Oven
Place the chicken fingers on a non-stick baking tray and bake them at 450 F for 10 minutes or till they are golden brown. It is important to keep in mind that thicker pieces will require more time.
It is easy to cook chicken fingers in the microwave. Simply place the fingers in the microwave, cover with wax paper and cook for 5 minutes at high temperature.
Deep frying is the most popular way to cook chicken fingers. Heat cooking oil to 375 F and fry the fingers till golden brown.
What To Serve With Chicken Fingers?
Chicken fingers can be easily served with a variety of dips and sauces such as; honey mustard sauce, garlic mayonnaise, Thai peanut dip, BBQ sauce, ranch dipping sauce, sweet and sour sauce, blue cheese dip, and ketchup.
Where Can You Buy Frozen Chicken Fingers?
Frozen chicken fingers are readily available at Target, Whole Foods, and Walmart. They are also available online on sites such as Instacart and Amazon. These stores have popular brands such as Good&Gather, Perdue, Bell&Evans, Foster Farms, and Tyson.
Chicken fingers are a great snack and can be served as a side dish with meals like pasta and potatoes. Being easy to cook, the recipe can be easily adjusted to control how many carbs are in chicken fingers, making them a good choice for low-calorie diets.
Feature Image: Pixabay
Looking for some more chicken recipes?