I love beef stew. That thick, flavorful gravy simply tastes like home. Mom made beef stew regularly. Creole stew beef and other inexpensive ingredients make family meals economical. The food never tasted cheap. Always seemed more.
Mom always used the slow cooker for this recipe. Slow cooking produces fall-apart meat and rich gravy.
Slow cooker gravy is typically too thin. The slow cooker locks in moisture. That’s wonderful for meat and vegetables, but not gravy. There’s a simple solution. It works well in this situation and most others when slow-cooked gravy is thin, so check the recipe notes below.
- This recipe has green pepper, tomatoes with green chilis, and Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, unlike Mom’s. Its added taste is great.
- Despite Mom never adding tomatoes, I believe they could be my favorite part. Creole seasoning enhances taste without heat. It also replaces salt, pepper, and other spices in this recipe.
- Since it’s still cold, we’re preparing beef stew in the slow cooker with my Hot Water Cornbread on the side. Enjoy.
Slow-Cooker Creole Beef Stew Recipe
20-minute preparation | 6-hour Slow Cook (Time) | Serve 5
- beef stew (3 pounds)
- 1.5-tablespoon Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
- 2/4-cup all-purpose flour
- 2-tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- 4 peeled, 1-inch-cut carrots
- 4 celery ribs, sliced in half.
- coarsely sliced medium onion
- 2 seeded, roughly chopped bell pepper
- 3 minced garlic
- 2 (10-ounce) cans chopped tomatoes with green chilis, undrained
- Unsalted beef broth
- 6-tablespoon Tony Chachere’s Brown Gravy Mix (or 2 packets)
- Creole season the meat in a medium bowl. Toss coat
- Toss meat in flour.
- Heat oil in a large pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Brown half the meat when heated.
- Brown half the meat, then transfer it to a dish. Reserve.
- Spray slow cooker crocks lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slow cooker potatoes.
- Add meat.
- Carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and bell pepper.
- Cover with tomatoes.
- Whisk beef broth and gravy mix in a medium basin.
- Cover veggies.
- Cover and simmer for 6 hours.
Feature Image: Pixabay