If we talk about pizza in general, its main origin is from Italy, which many of us are aware of. However, the modifications have been made by each specific region according to their taste as well as such variations are made considering each particular dish in the culinary world. The same has been done with chi chi’s Mexican pizza recipe, which has been subdivided into multiple types. Right now, we will be talking about the two most famous and talked about types of Mexican pizza that are widely known in various regions of Mexico and goes far to America and other regions as well, considering the vibrant flavors it consists.
If you wonder about the origin of popular fast foods, our minds never go deep towards the point of how exactly and who invented this amazing recipe. In 1985, Taco Bell, a famous fast food chain internationally, introduced a Mexican pizza recipe. This is also a specialty in Oaxaca, Mexico, where the Mexican pizza is called Tlayuda. However, the chi chi’s Mexican pizza recipe that Taco Bell follows is somewhat different and unique than what comes to our mind when we hear the word pizza.
Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
The Taco Bell Mexican pizza is made on a tortilla which mainly contains ingredients such as salsa, fried beans, cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, and toppings that mainly include spiced beef as well as jalapenos (to incorporate the spicy Mexican flavour). However, on the tortilla bread, they sometimes add avocado paste, too, to add more flavour to the so-called tortilla Mexican pizza. Unfortunately, because it is less popular, this Mexican pizza recipe on tortilla bread might be removed from the taco bell menu.
Taco bell does not portray or use the proper Mexican pizza recipe. Still, the original one that is often eaten in the streets of Mexico incorporates the ingredients such as chilies, onions, green and red peppers, salsas, mozzarella, and manchego cheese, which is incorporated all on the regular crust of the pizza.
The Delicious Chi Chi’s Mexican Pizza Recipe:
Ingredients/Making/Instructions and Directions (For Original Mexican Pizza)
Pizza Recipe (Cooking Time 30 mins)
- 2 Pizza Dough
- Chicken Marsala Mixture
- Refried Black Beans, Pinto Beans, and Instant Pot Refried Beans (1/2 of a cup)
- Cumin (1/2 Teaspoon)
- Paprika (1/4 Teaspoon)
- Cayenne (1/4 Teaspoon)
- Green Onion (1 Small)
- Tomato (1)
- Jalapeno (1)
- Frozen Corn (2 Handfuls)
- Mexican Blend of Cheese (Monterrey Jack and Cheddar Cheese)
- Kosher Salt
- Some Fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream (Optional)
- Pickled Onions (Optional)
Chicken Marsala Mixture Recipe: (Cooking Time 30 Minutes)
- Boneless Chicken (1/2 Pound)
- All Purpose Flour (3 Tablespoons)
- Salt (To Taste)
- Freshly Ground Pepper (To Taste)
- Olive Oil (1 Tablespoon)
- Unsalted Butter (3 Tablespoons)
- Sliced Mushrooms (8 oz)
- Garlic Cloves (2 Cloves)
- Chicken Broth (2/3 of a cup)
- Dry Marsala Wine (2/3 of a cup)
- Heavy Cream (2/3 of a cup)
- Chopped Fresh Thyme (2 Teaspoons)
- Chopped Italian Parsley (2 Tablespoons)
Italian Sauce Recipe: (Cooking Time 30 mins)
- Olive Oil (2 Tablespoons)
- Minced Garlic (1 Clove)
- Crushed Tomatoes (28 oz)
- Tomato Paste (6 oz)
- Salt (To Taste)
- Basil (1 Teaspoon)
- Oregano (1/2 Teaspoon)
- Black Pepper (Freshly Cracked)
- Red Pepper (1 Pinch)
Instructions for Marsala Chicken
- To marinate the chicken, add some flour, salt and pepper and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Add oil and butter to the pan and let it get warm.
- Now add the chicken into the pan and cook it for 5-6 minutes until it incorporates a nice golden brown colour. Once it’s cooked, take it out and cut the chicken breast into small cubes for the pizza.
- Add the remaining butter into the pan, add mushrooms and let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
- After that, add shallots, garlic, and salt and let them cook for 1 whole minute.
- Add broth, marsala wine, heavy cream, thyme, salt & pepper, and stir the mixture properly. Reduce the sauce until its color darkens.
- As soon as the sauce becomes dark, add the cubes of chicken.
- Chicken Marsala is ready to be incorporated into the delicious chi chi’s Mexican pizza recipe.
Directions for Italian Sauce:
- Add olive oil to a pan over medium heat and let it get warm for half a minute.
- Add garlic cloves into the pan until you can smell the garlic properly and it gets soft.
- Now add tomato paste, crushed tomato, basil, oregano, salt, freshly cracked pepper, and red pepper flakes all together to make a thick sauce.
- Cover the pan and let the mixture cook for good 20-30 minutes on low heat so that it becomes thick enough to be added into the pizza dough.
Cooking Mexican Pizza Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 500 Fahrenheit.
- Now for the mixture, take a bowl to mix refried beans or pinto beans with some drops of water in order to make the mixture easily spreadable. Now add cumin powder, paprika powder and cayenne to this mixture of refried beans.
- For the third step, dice the tomato and slice the green onions.
- Now seed and dice the jalapenos, or according to your preference, you can thinly slice them as well. (CAUTION: KEEP YOUR HAND AWAY FROM YOUR EYES)
- Chop the fresh cilantro.
- Now take your pizza dough, put it into the cooking dish (Grease it with oil properly), and let it set.
- Now spread Italian sauce and refried beans/pinto beans onto the pizza for a rich base of amazingness.
- Spread some cheese over the pizza dough, and add red onions, tomato, jalapenos, corn, and cilantro on the top, following the great Mexican pizza recipe.
- Now add the chicken marsala mixture on top of the pizza to keep the pizza juicy and yummy altogether.
- Finally, add some cheese on top of chicken marsala and then put your pizza into the preheated oven for 20 minutes until all the flavours are mixed up into each other, creating the best Mexican pizza recipe.
Feature Image: Pixabay
5 Different Ways to Make Pizza Sauce that are Absolutely Easy
What Makes We Cook Pizza and Pasta So Popular? | Travel – Grand Canyon, USA
Domino’s: US’s Largest Electric Pizza Delivery Fleet By 2023| Zero Carbon By 2050
Electric Pizza Oven: It’s Your Quick & Efficient Way To Cook Pizza