Who doesn’t like to try recipes that are not only healthy but also exceedingly delicious? We are all health freaks constantly searching for new and flavorful recipes that allow us to enjoy different tasty and delicious recipes that do not mess too much with our diet. No matter how strict a diet you follow, if you want your body to get the nutrition it requires, your diet must have a proper balance of vegetables, fruits, and proteins. One usually pictures a green beans salad with mayonnaise with a yummy dressing topped off with some nuts when thinking of vegetables.
We bring you some of the most mouthwatering varieties of green bean appetizers/ salad recipes to fulfill that craving. So read on to learn how you can make this delicious recipe as a side dish to your main course or eat it up as a salad on its own.
Green Beans Salad Recipe
To make this yummy green bean salad, you must have the following ingredients.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large red onion
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup feta cheese
- Place beans in a large pot.
- Add water to cover the beans.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- Drain and immediately place in ice water.
- Drain and pat dry with a towel.
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, garlic powder, mustard, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Drizzle this mixture over the beans.
- Add chopped onions and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, stir in the halved cherry tomatoes and cheese.
What Can I Add to Green Beans for Flavor?
Green beans are vegetables that are tasty even when consumed on their own, but when tossed into a yummy salad, their deliciousness becomes doubled. Suppose you want to enhance the taste of your green beans further.
In that case, you may add;
- Some balsamic vinegar
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese
- Sesame seed
- Lemon zest
As many chefs suggest, green beans are a wonderful pairing with mayonnaise or mayo sauce.
How Do You Make French Sliced Green Beans?
To make French sliced green beans, you will use:
- 6 ounces of French green beans or haricots verts
- One red onion
- One clove of garlic
- One pinch of salt,
- ½ tablespoon of butter
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil.
The making of salad;
- Mince the onion into fine pieces.
- Finely grate the garlic. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the beans to the pot and cook for 1 – 2 minutes until tender.
- Remove from the pot and run under cold water and set aside.
- Heat up a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat and add the butter and oil.
- Once the butter has melted, add the onion and cook for around 2 minutes.
- Mix the garlic and mix through to distribute it evenly—Cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add the blanched beans and toss in the onion-garlic mixture to coat them.
- Cook, moving around relatively regularly, for around 1-2 minutes, and then serve. You can recreate amazingly delectable french sliced green beans in these simple steps.
How Do You Make the Best Green Beans?
To make the best-tasting green beans, you will need;
- 1 pound of green beans
- Two tablespoons butter
- Two cloves of minced garlic
- One large chopped onion
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of chopped red bell peppers
- One teaspoon salt and ground black pepper
In order to make these appetizing and ridiculously easy green beans;
- First, break the stem ends of the green beans, or cut them off in big bunch with a knife.
- Heat the butter in a pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and onions and cook for a minute or two.
- Then add the green beans and cook until the beans turn a bright green color.
- Next, add the chicken broth, chopped red pepper, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the skillet with a lid, leaving the lid cracked.
- Cook until the liquid evaporates and the beans are somewhat soft but a bit crispy too.
- This will take about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and dish out in a bowl.
- The best green beans are ready to serve.
18 Green Beans Salad Recipes
Green beans are one of those vegetables that can be cooked in dozens of different ways. To elucidate just how vast the uses of green beans are, we have compiled 18 flavorsome recipes for our readers.
1. Green Bean Salad with Mustard Dressing
To make this recipe of green beans with a mustard dressing or vinaigrette, you will need;
- 1 pound chopped green beans
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced, toasted almonds.
To create this dish;
- Begin by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the green beans and cook until they are tender, which will take about 6-8 minutes.
- Drain the beans and rinse with cold water.
- In a separate, small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, and salt, pour this vinaigrette over the green beans, and toss to combine.
- Top with the sliced almonds and serve.
2. Green Beans Salad with Mayonnaise
Green beans are, inarguable, best served with mayonnaise or a mayo sauce. To dish up this recipe, you will require;
- 500 g of green beans
- 200 g of mayonnaise
- 2 to three cloves of garlic.
After washing and trimming the beans:
- Boil them in water for 15 to 20 minutes and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise and crushed garlic.
- Cut the beans into 2cm slices and add to the mayonnaise and garlic mixture.
- Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for a few hours before serving with bread.
3. Green Bean Salad with Creamy Dressing
To make this recipe, you need;
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans (2 inches)
- 1/2 medium cucumber halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/3 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion.
For the dressing take;
- 2 tablespoons of cream cheese
- Softened 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 tablespoon of tarragon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- In a saucepan of boiling water
- Cook green beans uncovered – until crisp-tender for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove beans with a spoon.
- Drop immediately into ice water.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Place cucumber, red pepper, onion, and beans in a large bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and toss with vegetables.
- Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
4. Green Beans Salad with Carrots
For this tasteful recipe, you will require;
- 3 large carrots
- 1 pound of fresh green beans
- 2 to 3 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
How to make;
- Peel and cut carrots into a rectangular shape, about 2 inches in length.
- Place them into a medium-sized pot and fill with water enough to cover the carrots.
- Bring to a boil and add some salt—cover and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain, and set aside to allow them to cool completely.
- Cut the green beans in half.
- Place green beans with 1/2 inch of water, add some salt, and cover with a lid.
- Bring water to a low boil for 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Drain thoroughly and set aside to cool down in a large mixing bowl.
- Add green beans and carrots together.
- Add garlic, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add a generous pinch of dried oregano.
- Gently toss and mix until well combined.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
5. Woolworths Three Bean Salad Recipe
For this, you will need;
- 1 tbsp harissa
- 4 tbsp honey
- 8 tbsp orange juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g Rainbow carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 250 g butternut cubed
- A large sprig of thyme
- 400 g can Woolworth’s haricot beans drained and rinsed
- 400 g can Woolworth’s kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 362 g can Woolworths borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 100 g chevin sliced
- 40 g packet rocket.
How to prepare;
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the harissa, honey, orange juice, and olive oil.
- Toss 1/4 cup of the dressing with the carrots and butternut.
- Place on a baking tray, top with the thyme, and roast for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Adding the beans and another 1/4 cup of dressing for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and toss with the remaining dressing.
- Serve warm, topped with the chevin and rocket.
6. Old Fashioned Three-Bean Salad
For this recipe, you require;
- 1 can of green beans
- 1 pound wax beans
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, sliced into thin rings
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅔ cup distilled white vinegar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
To make this dish;
- Mix together green beans, wax beans, kidney beans, onion, sugar, vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Let set in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
7. Creamy Potato and Green Bean Salad
To make this yummy recipe;
- Cook 2 pounds of quartered potatoes in salted boiling water until tender, adding 1/2 pound of halved green beans in the last 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Whisk 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons grainy mustard, 1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with the vegetables along with 2 chopped celery stalks and 1/2 sliced red onion.
8. Roasted Potato and Green Bean Salad
To make this, you must have;
- 1 ½ lbs potatoes, sliced in half or quarters
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
The making process;
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced potatoes with olive oil, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Place an even layer on the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- Toss the green beans with olive oil, garlic powder, and kosher salt in a bowl.
- Set aside. After the first 20 minutes of roasting is done, remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the potatoes.
- Add the green beans in an even layer around the potatoes and return the baking sheet to the oven.
- Roast for another 25 minutes.
- When the roasting is done, sprinkle the potatoes and green beans with freshly grated parmesan and chopped fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
9. Potato and Green Bean Salad Italian
- 50 oz potatoes washed and cubed
- 15 oz green beans washed and trimmed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large microwave safe bowl with a lid and add 1/3 cup water.
- Steam the potatoes for 5 minutes.
- Trim the green beans, then add them to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Continue to steam with the lid on for another 10 minutes or until potatoes and beans are fork tender.
- Remove from the microwave and drain excess water.
- Add the olive oil, white vinegar, chopped fresh parsley and mint, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Serve warm or cold.
10. Crunchy Green Bean Salad
- 1 pound green beans or small haricots verts
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Time to prepare;
- Trim ends from beans and leave them whole.
- Prepare a bowl filled with cold water and ice.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add the beans.
- Cook until bright green.
- Drain the beans and toss them into the ice water.
- Whisk the minced shallots, mustard, vinegar, olive oil, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper in the bottom of a salad bowl.
- Toss in the green beans, then serve with crispy shallots sprinkled on top.
11. Potato and Green Bean Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1lb. small red potatoes, unpeeled, halved
- 8oz. fresh green beans halved
- 1 can slice ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend
How to make this salad;
- In a large saucepan, combine potatoes and water to cover.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Add green beans to the water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender—drain beans in a colander with potatoes.
- Rinse potatoes and beans with cold water to cool.
- Cut potatoes into slices.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Mix potatoes, beans, and olives, and toss to coat. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until serving time.
12. Sicilian Green Bean Salad
- 1 lb green beans 454 grams
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- dried red chili pepper optional
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
Let’s make this salad;
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Trim the ends of the beans, rinse and boil until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar, crushed garlic clove, dried oregano, dried red chili, fresh chopped parsley, and salt to taste. Toss well and serve immediately or place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
13. Cold Green Bean Salad
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot with lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add beans and cook, uncovered, until soft but firm to the bite, for 7 to 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine vinegar, olive oil, onion, garlic, parsley, sugar, salt, and pepper. Drain cooked green beans and mix with dressing in the bowl while still warm. Allow marinating at room temperature for at least 1 hour. Serve chilled.
14. Green Beans Salad Ottolenghi
- 2 Capsicums. Cut into pieces
- 2 cups Chervil
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 500 g Green beans
- 4 Green onions
- 2 tsp Lemon, zest
- 1/2 cup Tarragon
- 3 tbsp Capers
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Pinch Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 3 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
Instructions to make;
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add beans, bring back up to a boil, then cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain, and rinse under cold running tap water to cool.
- Shake off excess water well, then pat dry. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat oil in a heavy based skillet over high heat until smoking.
- Add capsicum with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring every now and then, until tender-crisp with some nice charred edges.
- Transfer bowl with beans, and allow to cool to room temperature—heat oil in a small skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Now add garlic and cook for 20 seconds.
- Next, add capers and cook for 15 seconds.
- Then add cumin and coriander seeds.
- Cook until the garlic is golden, then immediately pour over the beans.
- Finally, add green onion, herbs, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Serve immediately.
15. Green Bean Salad Feta
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 ounces of crumbled feta cheese
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook beans until they are soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine green beans and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add shallot, parsley, and garlic. Pour dressing over beans and tomatoes and mix.
- Mix in crumbled feta cheese. Allow sitting for 20 minutes before serving.
16. Marinated Green Bean Salad
- 1 pound green beans – trimmed and long ones sliced in half, about 3 cups
- ½ red onion – thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 can chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Steps to prepare;
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Trim the green beans, slice any long ones in half, then drop them into the boiling water for just 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and drain the green beans in a colander in the sink. Rinse with cold water.
- While the green beans are cooking, thinly slice the red onion and drain the chickpeas.
- Whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, rosemary, basil, and salt.
- Combine the green beans, red onion, chickpeas, and dressing in a large bowl. Mix until well combined. Serve right away.
17. Mediterranean Green Bean Salad
- 1 ½ pound fresh green beans
- ½ cup red onion minced
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ½ cup pitted olives well drained
- 15-ounce can chickpeas well drained
Steps to make;
- Boil water in a pot and add 1 tablespoon of salt.
- While the water is coming to a boil, rinse green beans and trim off the stem ends.
- Add the trimmed green beans to boiling water for about 3-4 minutes.
- Strain and rinse beans with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Pat dry with paper towels to remove any extra water.
- In a large serving bowl, toss salad ingredients together.
- Add dressing (recipe below) and toss again to coat. Serve at room temperature.
18. Green Bean Salad Jamie Oliver
- 1 bunch beets about 4 beets – or more if desired
- 2 pounds of fresh green beans trimmed and cut in half
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup minced red onion or shallots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mozzarella balls
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
How to prepare;
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make sure to remove the tops and bottoms of the beets, then peel them with a vegetable peeler.
- Slice the beets into chunks of 1- 1 12 inches.
- Place the beets on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Stir in one tablespoon of olive oil and some freshly cracked salt and pepper.
- Start roasting the beets for 35-40 minutes or until they are tender.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add two tablespoons of salt.
- Time to cook the green beans for 1 to 2 minutes, until they are tender-crisp.
- Transfer the cooked beans to ice water with a slotted spoon to stop the cooking process.
- Drain the beans well and pat them dry.
- Place them in a large salad bowl.
- Mix green beans with tomatoes, beets, red onion, and raisins.
- For serving, toss with arugula, mozzarella, pine nuts, and additional dressing if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Green beans are a vegetable that is best served in salads. We have seen countless ways in which these green beans can be utilized. The different layers of crunchy, creamy, juicy textures and earthy, bright, tangy, fresh flavors will surely have you swooning!
Feature image: Pixabay